Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sizing Up a Birthday Present


This morning I received an email from a mother who was shopping for a birthday gift for her daughter. She had narrowed it down to the perfect Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas bag, but her dilemma at this point was size: Medium? or Large?

Oh my, how grateful I am that Louis Vuitton makes different size! But man, life would be easier with less choices, especially during gift time...don't you think?

In her email to me, this (awesome) mom requested further information about which size I thought a better choice.

As I wrote out my complete bag analysis, including carrying capabilities, pro's/con's of the functionality of each, I couldn't help but picture the woman's daughter in everyday life with each of the bags...

I saw her at the gym with her medium bag...carrying her sneakers and sports bra in hand (eew). I saw her looking a very un-put-together on a dinner date with her much too big bag! I saw her walking into work with the larger tote, neatly buttoned up, and every fitting just right. Then I saw her carrying her medium sized bag, cosmetic bag and novel tucked inside, laptop in its rightful case tucked under the other arm, and that looked just fabulous in my mind also (indeed, that's how I do it!)

And what did I come up with to tell the mother? I came up with the usual, same old answer...unfortunately...the same answer I have to hand out when women ask my opinion on picking a brand: It's personal.

I know lots of women who prefer a huge oversized tote any time of the day, any day of the week.

But me? Well I'll take a smaller Kelly box-sized bag, a Speedy 25, or a clutch. I feel more lady-like, more like Audrey or Grace or Jackie...but, that's just me...

What about you? Give me some input girls...what's your size preference?

If you could only have one bag, what would you have?

No comments: