Thursday, February 11, 2010

What makes you stand proud?



The other day I was in Macy's, walking through the jewelry department, and I passed a woman with a brown bob-tall in stature-in a pin striped black suit and a great pair of Tory Burch heels. Immediately I noticed that she was carrying herself quite elegantly, quite proud. She was browsing through some of the finer selections of jewelry of in the cases at Macy's, yet eschewing the sales people as they came up to her, nearly begging her attention. It was late in the day, and not many people were in the store. There were some casual stragglers, some people exiting through the store as they finished up through the food court, another woman I saw making a return of some costume jewelry, a few women trying out samples in cosmetics.


But this woman truly stood out to me. It wasn't the neatly pressed, probably Theory, suit she had on or the sueded stacked Maddie TB's on her feet. It was simply the confidence that swept around her.


As she turned around to leave the jewelry section, I glanced back at her one more time. And, to my shock, I saw on her shoulder, a replica Louis Vuitton Montogueil GM.


She had it slung over her, and her hand tucked through the strap, holding onto it, as if it was the most prized possession in her life.


My first thought was, oh my goodness, does she know it's a fake?? I should tell her!


And my second thought was, oh my goodness, does she know other's know it's a fake?


And then finally, oh wow, does she CARE?


What makes you stand proud? And why?


It is a common debate that I have with my significant other: WHY do women love designer bags? Some ideas for you to think about...


  • Is it because it makes you seem stylish in front of your peers? Is it a way to be fashionable when you are unsure of what your own fashion statement truly might be?

  • Is is because they are a status symbol? Is it a way of establishing wealth and success like a Rolex watch might be to some men?

  • Or do you truly love the shape, the icons, the patterns, the design? Do you really respect and understand the brand and the designers vision?

I am the first to say that when a woman walks out of the house with a great bag on her arm, it can change the shape of not only her look and her outfit, but also her confidence level and self-image that day. I feel that authentic designer accessories can work some pretty great personal magic...


I know why they do it for me. But, why do they do it for you?


Is it because they are art? Or is it something else? Would love to hear...

No comments: